Without the need to do a complete room makeover, it is still highly possible to make your bathroom looking new again. Once this initial stage is completed, you only need to care for it properly to keep it as beautiful and long-lasting as possible.
In this article, we will share a quick guideline on how to properly care for your reglazed bathroom tiles:
To keep your flooring looking like brand new for many years, you have to keep it as smooth and glowing as possible. To do that, you need to keep it off the following:
- Harsh abrasive cleaners like scrubbing pads, steel wool, and wire brushes.
- Bleaches, ammonia, and chemical cleaners like Comet, Soft Scrub, and Ajax.
- Products with acid like grout cleaners and drain openers.
Using any of these can cause a chemical crack, peeling, or a dull finish for your reglazed tiles. If you need to do some cleaning, here’s what you should do instead:
- Clean your bathroom regularly to avoid any dirt and soap build-up. If you can, clean it after every use.
- Use a mild liquid cleaner mixed with water and a soft washcloth or a Teflon sponge to clean the tiles.
Waxing gives your tiles that shine and protection. Besides regular cleaning, you also have to wax to make them look brand new. Consider the following tips:
- Apply wax on the third week after the reglaze and do it once every quarter. The frequency depends on the condition of the tiles.
- Wax tends to buildup. Before applying a new one, clean the surface first and wipe it dry.
- Apply a thin coat of wax using a damp cloth and gently rub it in a circular motion.
- Remove the excess wax using a soft dry cotton cloth.
Here is what you need to keep in mind when it comes to everyday usage:
- Do not use rubber bath mats: If you need to use a mat for your bathroom, veer away from a rubber mat or anything that has suction cups. While it can help prevent you from slipping, it also causes a damaging reaction when poured with hot water. Opt for slip resisting mats instead that don’t need any suction to function.
- Do not drop sharp or heavy objects: Your tiles will definitely get damaged or scratched when heavy and sharp objects hit it. When you find a scratch on your tile, contact professional refinishing personnel for immediate repair. If you ignore it and water gets inside, it will begin peeling over time.
- Keep your personal care products away: Leaking products can damage the tiles while rust from cans can also cause stains in your tiles. To avoid such situations, use a hanging caddy on your shower or add a product shelf by the bathtub or find a way to store your care products away in a safe closed space.
- Store chemical products away: Similar to the personal care products, be sure to keep other chemicals away from the tiles. Products like hair dyes, perfume, and other cosmetic products that can easily stain or ruin your flooring.
- Avoid too much water: When your bathroom is constantly wet, it can wear down the quality of your new flooring finish over time. When this happens, cracks may occur and your floorings become more prone to deterioration. If you want to avoid this, make sure that leaky faucets are fixed immediately and keep the bathtub drained and dried always. Regular drying of the tub can help slow down any soap and mineral build-up.
To enjoy the site of your brand new bathroom for many years, proper care and maintenance should be observed at all times. These steps are not difficult to do. As long as you keep in mind the guidelines enumerated above, your reglazed bathroom tiles will look good as new for a long time.
Want to make your bathtub look new again? A bathtub glaze or refinishing is all you need – we provide expert reglazing and bathroom makeovers in Baltimore, MD. Get in touch with us!